Jim is a senior litigation partner of the Firm. He has over 40 years of experience litigating cases in trial courts and arbitration forums, and he has argued and won appeals in the Connecticut Supreme Court, the Connecticut Appellate Court and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
He manages the Firm’s wrongful death and personal injury practice and has tried a variety of contract, tort, landlord-tenant, municipal, contested trusts and estates and land use actions.
He also represents clients before administrative tribunals, including local planning and zoning boards, wetlands agencies, the Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities, and the Freedom of Information Commission.
He has served as an Attorney Trial Referee, Arbitrator and Special Master in the Superior Court.
Professional & Community Affiliation
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
Honors & Recognition
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
Sample Reported Decisions
- Hershaft v. Greenwich Planning & Zoning Bd. of Appeals, 2018 WL 3518508 (Conn. Super. July 3, 2018)
- Vietor-Haight v. BNY Mellon, N.A., 2018 WL 2137777 (Conn. Super. April 16, 2018)
- Lanier v. City of Stamford, 2016 WL 3392154 (Conn. Super. June 1, 2016)
- Street Retail, Inc. v. Zoning Board of Appeals of the Town of Greenwich, 2015 WL 8487853 (Conn. Super. Nov. 12, 2015)
- Stuart v. Freiberg, 316 Conn 809 (2015)
- Armstrong v. Greenwich Planning & Zoning Bd. of Appeals, 2014 WL 5094350 (Conn. Super. Sept. 3, 2014)
- Lee v. AIG Cas. Co., 919 F.Supp.2d 219 (D. Conn. 2013)
- Sandford v. Metcalfe, 110 Conn.App. 162 (2008)
- Busak v. Obuchowski, 2005 WL 3112735 (Conn. Super. October 28, 2005)
- Metcalfe v. Sandford, 271 Conn. 531 (2004)
- Metcalfe v. Sandford, 81 Conn.App. 96 (2004)
- Dacourt Group, Inc. v. Babcock Industries, Inc., 747 F.Supp. 157 (D. Conn. 1990)
- Fuehrer v. Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corp., 673 F.Supp. 1150 (D. Conn. 1986)
- Hawley Enterprises Inc. v. Reliance Ins. Co., 788 F.2d 5 (2nd Cir. 1986)