Tony heads the Firm’s Public Utilities practice and represents energy, water, and telecommunications clients, as well as municipal entities, in regulatory proceedings before several state agencies in Connecticut, including the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority and the Connecticut Siting Council. He counsels both regulated and non-regulated businesses in transactional and operational areas, including mergers and acquisitions, leases and contractual matters.
Tony provides antitrust counseling and corporate law advice to various trade associations, including associations involved in the environmental, forest and paper products industries. He also counsels clients in general corporate matters and employment law, including executive compensation, employment contracts and discrimination and termination issues, and he advises municipalities in specialized administrative law matters.
Prior to joining Whitman Breed in 1995, Tony was in private practice in Connecticut and gained 15 years of experience in the corporate sector as Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Aquarion Company, which owns New England’s largest investor-owned water utility operation, and as Chief Counsel of a Fortune 300 mining, manufacturing and building materials company. He is a former Connecticut Supreme Court Law Clerk.
Professional & Community Affiliation
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association (Chair, Public Utility Law Section, 1995-1998)
- Greenwich Country Club (President since 2015; Vice President, 2013-14; Chair of Law, Policy and Risk Committee, 2012-15; Executive Committee since 2012; Board of Governors since 2011)
- Greenwich Flood and Erosion Control Board (Chair, 1989-2013)
- Greenwich Youth Lacrosse, Inc. (Board of Directors, 2002-2013)
- Connecticut Department of Public Utility Control Task Force, Water Company Acquisitions (Chair, Finance Committee, 1996)
- Bridgeport Financial Review Board (Gubernatorial appointee, 1991-1993)
- National Association of Water Companies (Board of Directors, 1991-1992; Chair, Regulatory Law Committee, 1990-1993)
Honors & Recognition
- New England Super Lawyer®, 2011 and 2012 (Energy & Natural Resources). See selection information at http://www.superlawyers.com/connecticut/selection_details.html
- Connecticut Super Lawyer®, 2006, 2011 and 2012 (Energy & Natural Resources). See selection information at http://www.superlawyers.com/connecticut/selection_details.html
- Outstanding Achievement Award, Institute of Clean Air Companies, 2012
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
Publications & Presentations
- Panelist, “21st Century Regulation: Paradigms Under Pressure,” ABA Public Utility Law Section Program (April, 2006)
- Speaker before National Association of Water Companies, New England Waterworks Association, and National Association of Regulatory Attorneys on various regulatory and ratemaking topics
- Antitrust Compliance Lecturer