Tom is a partner in the Firm’s Litigation Department, where his practice includes representation of clients in connection with complex commercial, professional, employment and real property disputes. He practices in and appears frequently before Connecticut’s state courts, in addition to his representation of clients in federal court and before private arbitral tribunals.
Prior to joining Whitman Breed, Tom was an associate in the New York offices of Winston & Strawn LLP, where he focused on representing accounting firms in professional liability matters, SEC investigations, bankruptcy-related litigation, and class actions alleging violations of the federal securities laws.
Tom, a lifelong Old Greenwich resident, served as President of the Greenwich Bar Association for the 2014-2015 year, and on its Executive Committee from 2010 to 2016. Tom is a board member of Family Centers, which offers education, health and human services to children, adults and families in Fairfield County. He also serves as General Counsel and Secretary to Greenwich Youth Lacrosse, one of the premier youth lacrosse programs in Fairfield County and among the largest programs in the United States.
Professional & Community Affiliation
- Greenwich Bar Association (Executive Committee 2010-2016; President 2014-2015)
- Greenwich Youth Lacrosse (Board Member, Secretary, and General Counsel since 2013)
- Family Centers, Inc. (Board Member since 2016)
- Fairfield County Bar Association (since 2010)
- Tulane University Men’s Lacrosse Team, Head Coach (2006-2007)
Honors & Recognition
- Connecticut Super Lawyer®, Rising Star, Civil Litigation/Defense 2016. See selection information at http://www.superlawyers.com/connecticut/selection_details.html
- Fairfield County Business Journal “40 Under 40,” 2015
- Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honor Society
- Tulane Law School, CALI Excellence Award (UCC Article 2 – Sales of Goods), 2005
- Tulane Law School, Tulane Journal of International and Comparative Law, Best Junior Editor, 2005-2006
Publications & Presentations
- Thomas P. O’Connor & Wyatt R. Jansen, Strategic Removal & the Voluntary-Involuntary Rule, 40 Conn. L. Trib., No. 33 at 52 (Aug. 15, 2016)
- Thomas P. O’Connor, Note, Auguste v. Ridge: Functional Inapplicability of the U.N. Convention Against Torture in the United States, 14 Tul. J. Intl & Comp. L. 237 (2005)
- Senior Research Editor, Tulane Journal of International and Comparative Law, 2006-2007